Every year in May, the Department of Motor Vehicles and riders through the US band together and recognize Motorcycle Awareness Month. It’s an important time to educate all motorists to watch out for motorcycles as well as encourage motorcyclists to be cautious on the road.
While we are aware that safety isn’t always synonymous with style, choosing between protecting your noggin and avoiding helmet hair is a no-brainer. “Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars.” (U.S. Department of Transportation) Proper motorcycle safety gear can save your life in an accident, so it is critical to pick out the right wear.
Below is our favorite pieces of gear to get you rider-ready and stay protected:
- Biker’s Dream Apparel Ladies Racing Jacket – Made from Top Grade cowhide leather and equipped with multiple pockets inside and out, a proper leather jacket is whatever woman needs while she rides.
Biker’s Dream Apparel ($119.98)
- Allstate Leather Men’s Basic Motorcycle Jacket – Made of premium buffalo leather and equipped with more pockets than you can fill, this durable leather jacket also has removable zip out lining and half belt to adjust to your comfort and size.
Allstate Leather Men’s Basic Motorcycle Jacket ($149.99)
- Global Vision Chicago AST Sunglasses – With maximum UV protection and lenses that transform from clear to smoke in the sun, the sunglasses are also shatterproof protecting your eyes from debris and anything else that may fly your way.
Global Vision Chicago AST Sunglasses with photochromic lens ($29.97)
- Harley-Davidson Packable Rain Suit – While riding across states, it is smart to pack for any weather. This classic style packable rainsuit is flexible for the ride and made of waterproof nylon. It is helmet-friendly allowing you to adjust to your size and shape and equipped with heat-resistant shields on the inner legs. Genius.
Harley-Davidson Women’s Classica Packable Rain Suit
While most of us are ready to hop on at the slightest sight of sun, there’s still plenty of time left to make 2013’s Riding Season the ride of a lifetime. Whether you’re an experienced road veteran or a beginning rider, select Harley-Davidson dealerships are offering riding courses for all levels. Beginners are welcome to Rider’s Edge New Rider courses presented by HD’s Academy of Motorcycling, where experts will introduce you to motorcycle safety, basic skills, and a motorcycle to practice on.
Experienced riders can enhance their skills with Rider’s Edge Skilled Rider courses and take 1-2 days to learn advanced tips and techniques that help you take control of the road.
Harley-Davidson’s Academy of Motorcycling also offers a Guide to Group Riding, a self study course, Motorcycle Boot Camp for those ready to saddle up and get on the road asap, and Garage Party events for women who are ready to discover their own life on a motorcycle.
No matter what skill level, riding courses can empower you to feel confident on the long road alone and gain knowledge before attempting those risky corners at high speeds. “Even the best can get better.”
For more information on Rider’s Edge Motorcycle Training classes ➨
Search for classes at your local dealership ➨
ChopperExchange.com has a special tool that allows registered users to sign up for Buyer Alerts on motorcycles they are interested in. Buyer Alerts will send an e-mail notifying the user whenever a new bike they specified has been added to the site by a seller. These alerts allow potential buyers to never miss a deal on our site while reminding them of past deals currently still available.
We have compiled a list of 2012’s Most Popular Buyer Alerts on ChopperExchange:
- 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO Street Glide (Starting Price: $32,499)
- 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO Street Glide (Starting Price: $ 32,699)
- 2009 Street Glide (Starting Price: $18,999)
- 2012 Street Glide (Starting Price: $19,499)
- 2010 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide (Starting Price: $30,999)
- 2009 FLTRSE3 CVO Road Glide (Starting Price: $30,999)
- 2010 FLHX Street Glide (Starting Price: $18,999)
- 2010 FLHRC Road King Classic (Starting Price: $17,999)
- 2011 FLHX Street Glide (Starting Price: $18,999)
- 2011 FLHTCUSE6 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Starting Price $36,499)
By signing up for Buyer Alerts, the ChopperExchange Team can send personalized emails as new motorcycles are added to the list and you can request to have dealers contact you when they receive models you are looking to purchase.
To find out more about this feature, visit www.chopperexchange.com
recently published Top 100 Dealers for 2013 in North America. The selected motorcycle dealers will be showcased at the Dealer Expo in Indianapolis, IN on February 15th-17th, 2013.
- 40% of the top 100 dealers are Harley-Davidson dealers.
- Less than 1% of Harley-Davidson dealers made the Top 100 Dealers list.
The winning Harley-Davidson® dealers are:
- Harley-Davidson of Scottsdale
- Skip Fordyce Harley-Davidson
- Outpost Harley-Davidson
- Fort Myers Harley-Davidson
- Conrad’s Harley-Davidson
- Frieze Harley-Davidson Sales, Inc.
- McHenry Harley-Davidson (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
- Woodstock Harley-Davidson (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
- Bud’s Harley-Davidson®
- Rawhide Harley-Davidson® (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
- Man O’ War Harley-Davidson® (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
- Wildcat Harley-Davidson®
- Renegade Harley-Davidson®
- Hot Rod Harley-Davidson®
- Worth Harley-Davidson® (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
- Beartooth Harley-Davidson®
- Seacoast Harley-Davidson®
- Outer Banks Harley-Davidson®
- Smokin’ Harley-Davidson®
- A.D. Farrow Co. Harley-Davidson® (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
- Mad River Harley-Davidson®
- Signature Harley-Davidson®
- Toledo Harley-Davidson®
- Myers-Duren Harley-Davidson®
- Harley-Davidson® of Erie
- J&L Harley-Davidson®
- Boswell’s Ring of Fire Harley-Davidson®
- Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson®
- Central Texas Harley-Davidson®
- Bayside Harley-Davidson®
- Black Wolf Harley-Davidson® (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
- Black Bear Harley-Davidson®
- Green Mountain Harley-Davidson®
- Wilkins Harley-Davidson®
- Downtown Harley-Davidson® (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
- Charlie’s Harley-Davidson®
- Cole Harley-Davidson®
- House of Harley-Davidson® (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
- Milwaukee Harley-Davidson® (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
- Vandervest Harley-Davidson® (View Dealer’s Bikes for Sale)
2012 Top 100 Dealers winners Adamec Harley-Davidson, Harley-Davidson of St. Augustine, Tifton Harley-Davidson, Grand Rapids Harley-Davidson, Adventure Harley-Davidson, Harley-Davidson of Wytheville, and Eastside Harley-Davidson did not make the list in 2013.